History

A little bit about us

Annalong3Annalong Presbyterian Church is situated right in the heart of Annalong village on the main Newcastle to Kilkeel Road. On its elevated site, the Meeting House faces the sea on one side and has the Mourne Mountains to the rear.

The congregation was established in 1840 and the Meeting House was ready for use by 1842. Six ministers have served the congregation: Rev Samuel Burnside (1840-87), Rev John Johnston (1887-88), Rev David Hadden (1888-1910), Rev Edwin Pyper (1910-45), Rev James Adair (1945-81), and the Rev Stuart Finlay who began his ministry in 1982.

The congregation comprises 275 families, most of whom live in the village and surrounding countryside. A new suite of halls was completed in 1997 to accommodate the congregation's vital Sunday School and youth work.

In addition to Sunday services, Sunday Schools and the Mid-week Fellowship for prayer and bible study, a wide variety of activities takes place during the week - Girls' Brigade, Senior Citizens' Fellowship, Bowling Club, Mums and Toddlers Group, Boys' Brigade, Choir, Badminton Club, Presbyterian Women's Group, Junior Youth Club, Y-Zone, Nurture Group (discipleship groups for teens) and Youth Fellowship.

The Sunday Services seek to blend a mixture of traditional hymns and modern worship songs. A Music Group (with a mix of instruments) leads the worship each week. The sacrament of the Lord's Supper is celebrated on the first Sunday of January, March, May, July, September, and November as well as Easter Sunday Evening.

An active missionary interest is advanced through monthly mission spots.